Is it necessary to spend money on a home security system in today’s society? An insight to the mind of a burglar will help you decide.
1. Of course I look familiar. I was at your property just last week cleaning your carpets, delivering your washing machine, carrying out a survey.
2. Thanks for letting me use your bathroom when I was cleaning your windows last week. While I was in there, I unlatched the back window to make my return a little easier.
3. Yes, I really might leave a flyer in your front door to see how long it takes you to remove it.
4. If decorative glass is part of your front entrance, don’t have your alarm situated where I can see if it’s set. That makes it too easy.
5. A good security company alarms the windows over the sink. Also, the windows on the second floor, which often access the master bedroom and your jewellery.
6. It’s raining, you’re fumbling with your umbrella and you forget to lock your door. Understand this: I don’t take a day off because of bad weather.
7. I’ll always knock first. If you answer, I’ll ask for directions or offer to clean your gutters (don’t take me up on it).
8. Do you really think I won’t look in your sock drawer? I always check dresser drawers, the bedside table and the medicine cabinet.
9. Here’s a helpful hint: I almost never go into kids’ rooms.
10. You’re right; I won’t have enough time to break into that safe where you keep your valuables. But if it’s not bolted down, I’ll take it with me.
11.The two things I hate most: loud dogs and nosy neighbours.
12. I’ll break a window to get in, even if it makes a little noise. If your neighbour hears one loud sound, they’ll stop what they’re doing and wait to hear it again. If they don’t hear it again, they’ll just go back to what they were doing. It’s human nature.
13. Avoid announcing your holiday on Facebook . It’s easier than you think to look up your address.
14. Lock your windows. To you, leaving that window open just a crack during the day is a way to let in a little fresh air. To me, it’s an invitation.
15. If you don’t answer when I knock, I try the door. Occasionally, I hit the jackpot and walk right in.
16. Sometimes, I carry a clipboard. Sometimes, I dress like a window cleaner. I do my best to never, ever look like a crook.